Back when Frequency was in its infancy, there were a few names we scribbled on a (figurative) napkin that represented artists we wanted to interview. Amongst those names was Robbie Seay of the Robbie Seay Band. With an impressive series of accomplishments in his 17 years in the music industry – including stints with a major label and as an independent, Robbie has a unique and very broad perspective on the current landscape in Christian music and life as a recording artist. Joe sat down with Robbie last month which resulted in an engaging and comprehensive conversation – one that should be considered compulsory for all aspiring musicians.
In this far-reaching interview, Robbie discusses success, life as an independent, and how certain shifts in the industry (digital distribution, social media, and economics) can influence one’s approach to creating and packaging music. Of course, he addresses his forthcoming long-player which gathers up the band’s recent three Psalms EPs into a single release. He explains why he took on a Psalms project, why he chose EPs as the initial format, and how easy it is to get lost in a very busy music scene (especially if you release an EP on the same day U2 gives away their new record).
- The Psalms LP does not yet have an official release date, but that shouldn’t stop you from picking up the three EPs: Psalms, Vol. 1, Psalms, Vol. 2, Psalms, Vol. 3
- You can catch Robbie’s interview with Brian Weaver on Wave the Truth using the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8eSFT78_bA
- Hermeneutics: the branch of knowledge that deals with interpretation, especially of the Bible or literary texts
- We love hearing from you, so make sure you connect with us on social media (links provided below). And of course, don’t be afraid to let us know what you think of the show by leaving a review on iTunes. Links to both the US and Canadian sites are provided: (US: https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/frequency.fm/id599474294?mt=2; Canada: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/frequency.fm/id599474294?mt=2
Quick Links for Robbie Seay:
- Website: http://www.robbieseayband.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/robbieseay
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robbieseay